RE: Active speakers or low-end amplifier and speakers recommendations?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Active speakers or low-end amplifier and speakers recommendations?
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:08:04 +0100

Dermot,

For a budget of up to about =A3500, I don't believe that the analogue outpu= t on the Audiotrons would be a limiting factor. The concerns about the anal= ogue output stage have only really come in when talking to people with 4-fi= gure and 4-figure hi-fi budgets.

I'm not aware of any "low-end" two-channel system with an optical= input. "Low-end" cinema systems will, but low-end cinema systems= start at about the =A3500 mark.

Depends what price range you're up for, so here are a couple of suggestions= . I'm a big fan of second-hand hi-fi, so these are from Loot :-)

=A3100 budget:

- Rotel RA-935BX amp @ =A335
- Tannoy M15 speakers @ =A355

=A3200 budget:

- Pioneer A400 amp @ =A3110
- Mission 734 speakers @ =A395

Alternatively, and this is something I often do - go to your nearest specia= list hi-fi shop, and ask if they've taken in anything recently by way of tr= ade-in.

Regards,

Mark