RE: Any advice for ambitious newbie?

Bruno,

Welcome. You should be warned that this group can work out very expensive := -)

--- Lighting

You haven't said how you're intending decorating, which will, of couse, mak= e a huge difference to your lighting requriments.

I'm guessing from your description that you're going for some full-height a= rchitectural spaces. I'd be asking a series of questions here... what is go= ing to be the interior finish of your roof? Is it going to be something wor= th lighting for its own sake? Is it a light colour (and therefore suitable = for providing lighting washes by bouncing hidden lamps off it)?

Now, personally, I've adopted a "no visible lightbulbs" approach = (except in the kitchen), so everything is done with uplights and reflection= s off, low, light ceilings. Reading lamps tend to have low shades, and (whe= n I remember) crown silver bulbs so they don't puddle the ceiling too much.=

If I were lighting an architectural space with a dark ceiling, however, I'd= think about big floor level halogen uplights washing walls to provide ambi= ent lighting, and task light for specific things like "the reading cha= ir" and the "keyboard light."

If you're still at the first fix stage, then I'd strongly recomment running= individual T&E cable runs back to a central "wiring closet" = and terminate them in-room with the "small, round-pin, three point plu= gs" (to distinguish them from normal plugs)... Use a "patch panel= " approach to this lighting, even if, for the moment, you don't wire t= hem up, it does enable you mix your individual lighting circuits around lat= er when you've been in the house for a while.

Likewise, running your ceiling fixtures back as individual runs rather than= on a ring gives you lots of flexibility about controls, whether you use X-= 10, DMX, or just light switches. Obviously, you run the switches back indep= endantly and "patch" them as you want - if you do this, use "= ;dual pole, dual throw" rather than just "make or break switches&= quot; so you can use this for 2 or 3 way switch control later if you decide= to.

In terms of energy efficiency - don't forget that the most fuel-efficient l= ight is one that's turned off. Personally, I dislike fluro-discharge lamps,= as I'm sensitive to flicker, and tend to have quite rich colours in the ho= use that are designed for a tungsten emission spectrum. As such, I'm more i= nto lights that turn themselves off automatically when I'm not in a room fo= r more than a couple of minutes. (But reliable occupancy detection may be h= arder in your kind of spaces than in mine.)

--- Control

Homevision... believe me, once you've got one, you won't go back :-) There = _is_ a good Linux front end to it. Misterhouse is great (particularly as yo= u're a Perl programmer), but HomeVision's MASSIVE advantage is that develop= ment of schedules in itis QUICK with a capital QUICK. If, like me, you're c= ash-rich, time-poor, then this is kind of key :-)

--- MP3 playing

Consider devices like the Rio Receiver, the AudioTron and the SliMP3.

The Rio will support Linux servers using JReceiver (a custome server that a= lso builds a SQL database from the MP3 metadata, and allows some quite comp= lex selection of playlists using a SQL-like syntax... or just a simple &quo= t;show me all the artists" from the front panel. The Rio's looking a b= it dated - its web interface is flakey (third-party), its LCD is very poor,= and its sound quality has been overtaken by devices like the AudioTron... = However it's cheap (if you can find one, since it's discontinued...) I have= 6, bought at different prices - 1 @ =A3150 (shortly after it was launched)= , 4 @ =A3100 (personal import), 1 @ =A390 (s/h).

The Audiotron and SliMP3 have better control but are pricier. The ideal for= me would be an AudioTron in the bedroom (where the main hi-fi lives) with = a separate DAC, and Rios in the subsidiary rooms. (The AudioTron has a TOSL= INK out.)

--- Other toys

Central vacuum system? Not particularly automated, but a cool thing. I'm NO= T going for a "robot vacuum" yet, since the cost/benefit compared= to paying a local au pair to come in a couple of times each week and clean= the place is still weighted in Teri's favour :-)

--- Watering

Homevision can control some relatively inexpensive valves. Again, HomeVisio= n provides (out of the box, but can be expanded) 8 digital outputs, each of= which control a zone. My own garden (will have) 4 watering zones for diffe= rent types of plants.

Anyway, let us know how you get on... and on-site consulting available in e= xchange for coffee :-)

Regards,

Mark