From: BUTLER, Tony, FM [mailto:roaming@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 August 2002 12:49
To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance

> It's a training thing though, I told you already to hide the
> remotes and only leave the Pronto out! :P

hmmm.....

> My SWMBO already uses the Pronto, so, if she switches off the TV or
> whatever it is easy just to hit her "bed button", problem solved. Your

Yeah, but SWMBO is going to bed because I am watching some crap TiVo
recorded.
She doesn't need to use a pronto or any other remote for that matter in
order to go to bed - so why should she in the 'improved' automated home?

Maybe once you are fully automated then the "hassle" of picking up the
remote and pressing "Nite Nite SWMBO" is more than compensated for by the
fact that all the required lights come on in front of swmbo and go out
behind her and the electric blanket warms the bed etc etc automagically, but
until then, it would be an extra unnecessary (to her) step and why should
she have to do it?

> problem here is that you *need* some compromise on the way you/SWMBO
> thinks. At the end of the day an automated home cannot and
> will not act
> as normal IMO and to think that you are, to a degree kidding yourself,
> if you think it will all work as normal and become automated as well.

Hey, I can always wish for that can't I? :D

> Yes, as above, although an automated home allows for manual
> control that
> is not the point of automating it, the point IMO, is to make it as
> transparent to the user as possible and as simple to use as
> possible. I
> have said many times, if SWMBO cannot use it or understand it inside
> five minutes then I've wasted my time and it's useless.

But to make it a s transparent as possible, you NEED to be able to manually
override it.
I don't want to end up having to hand out crib sheets to guests on what they
should and should not do - DON'T close the curtains manually, Don't use the
switch built into the bedside lamp, use this keyfob/stick on switch/wave
your arms about.

If I can have a light come on automatically and pleasantly surprise a
guest/SWMBO the fine - but I also want it to work if they use the wall
switch out of ignorance/fear/whatever of the auto activation....

> That's pretty easy really, just a bit of logic and application of the
> grey matter should sort that. However, remember that the PIR will
> trigger the light on first before she reaches the timer if you do it
> right ;) Again though, you can get around that problem too.

You mean when she wants to turn it on again?

I was thinking that once SWMBO turns off the light that it would not be
automatically activated again that evening on the basis that she's asleep
and if she needs a p*sh, she'll probably want to do it in the dark rather
than blind both of us with lights!

> > pronto/keyfob/whatever, but I want the house to be 'usable' also
> without
> > that bedtime flag being set.....
>
> And therein lays your entire problem...
>
> In order for any automation system to act it needs to be
> "told" what to
> do, therefore, to have events run differently at different times or
> based on whether (for example as in this case) someone is in
> bed or not
> the controller needs to know that the person has indeed gone to bed.
> Somehow you have to tell it that!

Yes, but if I forget to tell it anything, I don't want to find that I now
can't turn on the light because the house doesn't think I should be able to
or whatever.  This is one reaosn I'm only looking at 'simple' automation of
a few devices rather than full blown don't touch a thing, the house does it
all type automation.
Who was it mentioned on the list a few months back about the house sitter
who dared to manually close the curtains, resulting in the house getting
totally confused and closing them during the day and opening them again at
night?   This is the sort of scenario I Want to avoid, so I will not be
automating my curtains!

> IME (bitter), doing this using times or basing it on device status is
> far, far to unreliable and results in errors which is ultimately
> self-defeating as then SWMBO will view the system as fundamentally
> flawed from the get-go.

What I'm trying to avoid if possible!

> Sorry Tony but IMO you need some way of SWMBO telling the
> house that she
> has gone to bed and likewise for yourself to do what you want IMO.

Well yes for the ideal, but I think I can get away with the semi-automatic
"only activate by PIR if night time and if SWMBO hasn't turned off the light
tonight" type scenario.  Okay - it means much less automation, and indeed
lights being left on longer (eg don't turn off light if no activity until
after midnight) but it also [should] mean that SWMBO has the lights on when
she wants them on and off when she wants them off!

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor