RE: X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance

> > Yeah, but SWMBO is going to bed because I am watching some crap TiVo
> > recorded.
>
> So you press the button then! :P

I've got a beer in one hand and the remote in the other....oh yeah :)

Still doesn't work if I was actually on my PC at the time so don't knwo
she's gone to bed.....

> > Maybe once you are fully automated then the "hassle" of
> picking up the
> > remote and pressing "Nite Nite SWMBO" is more than
> compensated for by
> the
> > fact that all the required lights come on in front of swmbo

> That's how I sold it! ;)

I am not in a position to rewire the house completely and that's the only
way it would realistically happen.
I guess I could stick loads of micromodules all over the shop, but I spend
too much on toys that 60 odd quid a pop x a million sockets, lights etc
ain't gonna happen any time soon :-/

> > But to make it a s transparent as possible, you NEED to be able to
> > manually override it.
>
> Yes, but the idea is to make it so idiot proof that you don't need to.

Like that's gonna happen.
Hands up who can leave their automated house in the hands of an untrained
individual for 2 weeks?

> > If I can have a light come on automatically and pleasantly
> surprise a
> > guest/SWMBO the fine - but I also want it to work if they
> use the wall
> > switch out of ignorance/fear/whatever of the auto activation....
>
> Then you need momentary or X10 switches that means either extreme

Again though, this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade.
Aside from the fact that we have brushed steel switches, thinking guests
again, (eg my mum) they would be more comfortable witha 'proper' switch than
a momentary switch or those butt-ugly X10 switches.

I guess the solution is only to invite X10 compliant ppl around who come
over all funny at the sight of a clipsal momentary switch :-)

> > a few devices rather than full blown don't touch a thing, the house
> does it all type automation.
>
> This can be gotten around using "safety" routines, of which I use
> several. ;)

That's kinda what I'm looking at on a small scale - ie it's safe assume
SWMBO is in bed if she has just turned off the bedside light and it is night
time, so the PIR can go fcuk itself for the rest of the night :-)

> > Who was it mentioned on the list a few months back about the house
> sitter
> > who dared to manually close the curtains, resulting in the house
>
> Ian Lowe.

So Ian, what have you done to prevent this from happening again, or is it
just a sad fact of [automated] life that only fully trained personnel can
house sit?

> > lights being left on longer (eg don't turn off light if no activity
> until after midnight) but it also [should] mean that SWMBO has
> the lights on when she wants them on and off when she wants them off!
>
> Or use the switch on the light! :)

Indeed, and forget this automation thing completely!

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority