Re: Which LCD Touchscreen Format Would You Prefer In Your Home...?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Which LCD Touchscreen Format Would You Prefer In Your Home...?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:18:16 +0100

Both is my preference as well, but I voted wall-mount on the basis that it
can then be permanently cabled for power and LAN.

Battery life is the big shortcoming of these devices at the moment, - to be
truly useful, they need to be on all the time the area is occupied, to
provide instant visual feedback, and instant response to commands. - Even
an
Epod has to be physically turned back on from its soft power button when it
has suspended, - not good enough I'm afraid! - I dont want to be turning
another device on just so I can turn my lights on! - a screen tap I can
live
with... (just), although TBH I'd really prefer such a device to do no more
than go into a screen-saver (of my choice) when idle....

For the kind of quality of display that I *want*, operating in this way
will
eat batteries fast! (I *want* TFT quality display, as good as I get on my
laptop, so I can see it from a decent distance, and from a wide range of
viewing angles...)

This just isn't practicable for a device that absolutely must always be
ready and available for use, so for my money, it has be running on wired
power... Handheld devices, for the time being, are limited to smaller
Pronto/iPaq types, with a charging cradle to keep them topped up and ready
for use..

I suppose you _could_ use a decent colour touchscreen with such a cradle,
but it's then still tethered to that cradle, and would probably only give a
day (or so) of full-time service before demanding to be returned to it... -
still too much risk of it not being ready for use when picked up, and that
just wouldn't get past SWMBO in my house....

£0.02

Paul G.

>From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>