Multi-room Movies Advise

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Multi-room Movies Advise
  • From: "Tony T" <tonyt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:03:10 +0100

Hi All,

just wondering if I could get the groups thoughts/comments on being able to
play my dvd's on any tv in the house?

My ideal solution would be to be able to have different movies playing on
different tv's at the same time. My first thought was:
Replace HA server with a much more powerful pc with all my dvd's ripped into
divx.
For each tv have a via motherboard pc to act as a video player (could also
play mp3's so I could use the rio's in rooms without a tv).
Though i'm a bit concerned about how good the dvd's will rip quality wise,
and especiialy the time it will take to rip them all!

Alternatively, getting a Kenwood DVF-J6050, 400 disc player.
Anyone got one of these? Any good?
This option has the advantage of better quality image and is cheaper (though
I would need to find a cheap remote scart switching box to use with KAT5,
until the KAT5 switcher is available - any suggestions?).
Also, I wouldnt need to waste time ripping my dvd's.
The obvious disadvantage is only one movie can play at a time :-(

On the whole I'll probably go for the 2nd option as playing 2 or more movies
at once won't crop up too often, and it's cheaper overall. But is the
Kenwood OK?

Any advise/comments would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Tony T

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor