RE: [OT] Hardware problem...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Hardware problem...
  • From: "Anthony Livingstone" <anto@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 12:38:16 +0100

Mark,

Personally I've never come across a PSU causing this type of problem but
it could be possible if the voltages are fluctuating.

Usual cause of this behaviour is over heating.
Having said that there could be a hundred other causes!
First thing I'd try is leaving the covers off the case and point a big
fan at it if you have one.
If this helps you can then look at increasing air flow over the CPU with
bigger heat sinks and more fans in the case.

If it's a modern board you should be able to see current temperature and
voltages and set overtemp alarms in the BIOS.
However temperature won't really rise until you stress the CPU by
booting the op sys.
Check the internet for H/W monitoring programs for your motherboard, if
you are quick enough you might be able to get one installed and monitor
temperature and voltages on screen.

A good stress test of how well your CPU is cooled is to run the
Seti@Home software which pushes the CPU to 100% constantly.
I have a couple of machines running this 24/7 which only work with the
covers off.
Saves on central heating.  :o)

Anto.