Serial - Ethernet Bridge - Working prototype

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Serial - Ethernet Bridge - Working prototype
  • From: "Mark Marooth" <MMarooth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:36:45 +0100

Chaps,

Several months ago I said that I would finish this software in about a week, I'm
sure it comes as no surprise to most that It has taken me a tad longer than
expected due to SWMBO and other such demands including building a new server to
house MP3's and talk to shiny new SliMP3 !

Anyhow, today instead of writing VB Data Cleansing code, I've finished a very
drafty prototype of this software.  I'm running the software on my Linux laptop
and have happily
telnetted to the laptop modem from my desktop over an ethernet connection.
Talking to the modem quite happily as if connected serially.

My need for this bestie came about when I bought a whole bunch of Weeder I/O
modules which I want to put up in the loft with an old 486 laptop but I do not
want a long serial connection, hence connect weeder modules to laptop and laptop
to house ethernet.  Using Telnet, MrHouse and just about anything else that
talks TCP/IP I can now control these modules.

Anyhow, me thinks that this software will have wider applications and as it is
written in C should be able to run embedded on things such as Siteplayer, Rabbit
Core's etc.  ISTR that a kind soul volunteered a Perl port as well.  I've been
following the xAP threads I see no reason why it would not be able to talk xAP.
One of the beauties of this software (IMHO) is that there is the potential to
have up to 1023 individual sockets (Telnet etc) open concurrently all talking to
each other and any attached serial devices.

I've a bit more work to do to clean up code, take out unnecessary debug and set
up command line args etc but any of you guys interested in doing some
preliminary beta testing for me with other serial devices, I'd be most grateful.

Sadly, the executable that I have will only run on Linux for the moment  so
sorry to you Windoze guys.

It'll be a couple more days (honest) before I'm ready for testing but mail me
off list if you are interested.

Mark

P.S.  Boss thinks Data Cleansing app is nearly finished - our secret :o)

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor