[xAP] xAP display - Brief update, Code & Pics

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: [xAP] xAP display - Brief update, Code & Pics
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 02:00:50 -0000

Following on from the meteor threads, I've put together a xAP
compliant plug-in for Meteor - for both win/32 and Linux, and have a
working first cut of a xAP display.

What does this mean in practice? Plug a meteor box into either your
linux box or windows box, run up the Meteor-xAP software, and any
device on your LAN can potentially receive caller id data as it
arrives. I have a standalone display sitting on my LAN which picks
this data up; it could equally well be captured by Homeseer (updated
plug-in coming soon), a webserver, TIVO or whatever. There is no
practical limit on the number of devices which can use the
information sent out, and they all receive it at exactly the same
time.

Both the source and executables are available from my website
(patrick.lidstone.net/ha). I'm hoping that others will take these
examples and use them as the basis for further xAP development.

Getting TIVO to display the xAP message should be straightforward
with Stuart's xAP Perl toolkit.

Also up on the website is the Rabbit source code for the display
controller, and a couple of (not great) pics of the display in
action.

The display is configurable via its own on-board web server. Once
configured, it displays any xAP compliant message it is told too. The
display is also mirrored to the webserver (so if anyone has a rabbit
but lacks a display, they can still play with it ;-)

Justin, how about integrating xAP into your Nokia SMS efforts to make
it "open"? I'll do the same for my Linux SMS engine.

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor