RE: Meteor

Hi Justin,

> the number extracted using hs.devicestring("virtual
> device")?. I've not tried
> it though so you would have to ask him.

Okay thanks.  I'm a n00b to HS as well as meteor etc, so haven't done
anything with any devices yet.
Will try this though.

> the HSP address book is a real boon. I believe there is a
> script around that
> will extract details from Outlook and add them to the HSP phonebook.
> However, I can appreciate that new users of HomeSeer have to
> pay extra $ for
> HSP, so I can see why a plugin that doesn't use it would be
> attractive. Horses for courses I suppose!

Extra bucks aside for HSP, I don't really want to have to extract the
addresses - I'd like to keep everything in one place if poss as
synchronisation tends not to work very well IME - so my mobile phone addy
although, in theory, can be synched, in practise it can end up deleting
numbers when it shouldn't or some such thing.  Our DECT handsets have their
own addy books too which cannot be updated from anything, and of course,
outlook has it's own addy book too.
Now I could extract from outlook but that's an extra step.  I could have a
totally separate addy book as with everything else, but that's more crap to
keep up to date, but I would _prefer_ to just read the outlook addy book
realtime.
Although a potential problem is the time it might take to fire up outlook to
access the address book - the phone will have been answered by then :(
Hmm.. will have to think about it.  Probably end up with HSP anyway but
would like to try not to initially.....

> If this TCL code:
[..]

> means one just needs to open a socket to the Tivo client I
> mentioned yesterday

I yesterday knocked up a little C# app that did this (well, to the windoze
version of the Tivo listener as that's all I have here in work, but the Tivo
one is the same) so no probs in that respect.  I just don't want a separate
app but dunno if HS can talk to sockets directly.

I used the YAC client to do this.
ATM it assumes you are getting name/number pair, but I would prefer to be
able to send any old text in case there are other things I want to display
on Tivo.
IS there a way to compile Tivo code on a windoze machine?  I am not a linux
head - not even a C head, but I should be able to do enough to modify the
tivo client to accept name/number pairs or general text.  I just dunno how
i'd complie it is all :-)

I guess I could write a service/command line app and call it from HS when
the ring event is fired.  It just seemed a 'neater' solution if HS could do
it natively - and also mean no need for the .Net runtime or VB DLL's - C#
and VB are my languages so it'd be one of those I'd have to write it in.....

> The app wouldn't have to sit & wait rather just be executed
> when a specific
> event occurs - again, much easier with HSP (and a modem) as
> you will have: on
> first ring, on caller id, on every ring, type events as well
> as the callers
> name & number available as global variables.

I don't get it - if the Meteor can detect a call and CLID info, why do you
need a modem too to detect it?  This is not a route I want to go down as I
want to steer clear of such 'legacy' hardware as a modem :)

cheers,

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor