RE: RE: (ukha_d) Meteor

Quoting "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <roaming@xxxxxxx>:

> > weren't you working on something to pass messages over LAN to
> > your Tivo? (maybe
>
> Well, ish - I was hoping to discover someone had already done the hard work
> and I could just bring it all together :-)
> Am not a *nix person so can't write tivo listener, but PC/windoze side of
> thing wouldn't be a problem
> Of course, need the listener to be of any use :-(
>
> > Anyway, that's what I am doing with a little app I wrote
> > which works by passing
> > a string to it on the command line. This means I can have
>
> Nice one!  Will have a look at it.
> Have been given a bit of VB telnet code already by someone which I have yet
> to have time to look at.  Works most of the time AIUI.  Would like it to
> work 100% of time for SWMBO friendliness....
> TBH, would prefer _not_ using a telnet solution as seems a bit clunky to
> me.

I agree. I'm not a programmer by trade and that was the only (easyish) way I
could see of doing what I wanted.

> Prefer the listener idea but have no suitable skillz - this may also have
> meant that an xAP plugin could whizz the CLID info to other display
> devices....

I found this earlier http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?
s=&threadid=71542
If it is just a case of opening a socket and sending a string to the client
then I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to write a server application for
it.

> > HomeSeer send all
> > sorts of messages to my Tivo. e.g. If I have been out, I can
> > get HS to display
> > a screen of missed calls by pressing a button on my Pronto.
> > The main reason for
> > writing it though was to have caller id displayed (Meteor ->
> > HSP -> HS ->
> > Myapp -> Tivo) and it works well.
>
> But u need a modem too for this to work right?

ATM, yes.

> Would you like to share that nifty bit of code too, or is it all in the
> tivoOSD zip file already??

TBH, I would be too embarrassed to let anyone see the code.

> > A few people have been in touch wanting to try it out but as
> > yet I've had no
> > feedback, which may mean it's perfect, or on the other hand,
> > such a POS that they won't talk to me :-)
>
> Nah, probably just works so well they're speechless :-)

You're too kind :-)

Justin.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor