Cheap Control Thread

Why 15 panels?

Why use the likes of Palms, whatcha gonna do? Wall-embed them, of so
why and how are you gonna achieve that given that AFAIK there is no
wall mount about that will allow a network card to stick out of it
and look nice, if the two are even pheasable!? This is the only
reason I can see for the amount required so...

Phil was trying to get wall mounts made for the Fuji's and even that
would be a nightmare to install IMO and a total pain in the ass if
you decided to move it, or house ;) Again the problem of the card
sticking out of it kinda kills the idea IMO. Also consider the cost
of running all these devices 24/7 as for the functionality of the
likes of a Fuji you are basically running a small PC! :(

Now a WLAN enabled i-Paq type device that is useable as a glorified
remote sitting on a cradle as you enter the room seems a far more
sensible idea and allows a whole lot more to be done, or a dedicated
wall panel designed for the job seems a better bet, albeit a lot
more expensive. However, I more or less do this by having
strategically placed Prontos and an IR distribution system in place,
again not the cheapest option but it does work, is flexible and is
as expandable as I need it to be.

IMO, a web browser without a "proper" keyboard is as much use as
wooden tits on a brass bull...i.e.: not a lot of use! So much so
that I am seriously considering floggong a couple of Fuji's as I
find I cannot use them without a proper keyboard. If I were to use
them as simple dumb keypads would that not be a waste, I could, but
should I?

Sometimes it is good to do things "because I can" but in this case I
see no point in what is trying to be achieved, nor can I see any
tangible benefit in doing so when there are better options available
if you look about and use a little imagination, much of it with
products that most of us have knocking about!

Unless....

You can afford to do audio into each zone that has a controller,
temperature management, AV control and have the web available all on
a pad. But, the point being that I want to lay in my bed or sit in
my big comfy chair and do that and not go near a wall :)

So the question is: How clever does a wall mounted device *really*
have to be?

K.

Apologies for spelling errors, I had to use the web intrface as I'm
on a GPRS connection that seems not to want me to be able to send
mail!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor