Rebooting servers..

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Rebooting servers..
  • From: "Matthew Norman" <mafiu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:23:25 +0100

I have a very small server that handles web pages and a bit of filestore space.  This runs on windows 98 lite and runs like the clappers on a meager Cyrix 180Mz processor.
I want to leave it with windows 98 as it has been really stable and is no hassle at all to configure.  It sits in my loft and is connected to my asdl router.  I'm really happy with it.

Last night in Milton Keynes we had the mother and father of all thunderstorms.  Best one I ever saw.  It made my sky digital go mad and my adsl connection drop and then some brown power reset all of the computers in the house.  (tivo tried admirably to cope recording something for me at the time but I even had to reboot that as it too had a bit of a nervous breakdown.)

Anyway my loft server tried to reboot itself and and went straight into scan disk, and found some lost clusters on the disk and then just stopped there waiting for me to press ok.  Of course this was at dos so I couldnt netmeeting or vnc into it to say go ahead, so I had to climb the ladder and press any key.

So my question (after too much background really) is how can you make a 98 pc do an unattended scandisk after an impropper shutdown (Or indeed just do no scandisk at all)
Is it possible?  Any one done this?

(before any one mentions it yes I did have a linux box doing this before and yes it probably is more stable, however it didnt work correctly with the hardware I've got in the box (probably because of my ineptitude)  I am running apache on it and not pws though....)

Matthew

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click here to visit our exclusive feature of ACUVUE2
Colours at LensExpress.com!
Click here to find your contact lenses!