RE: Linksys Router

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linksys Router
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:57:16 +0100

    Hello new router owner ;)

    If you have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then all your machines must be on 192.168.1.x or they will not be able to see each other - i.e. you will have to change your ip addresses for the 192.168.0.x machines. Plus  you will have to set up the gateway address on each machine to point at the router (192.168.1.1) and probably the DNS entries on each machine as well to point to this address.
    If you use DHCP the router will allocate these all correctly for you. I tend to use static ip's as then I know which machine is which.
    Also you might want to check that if you have a DHCP server active, and the router probably enables this as a default, then the range of addresses that it offers do not conflict or overlap with any machines that you already have on static ip's

    Or you could alter the router to be on 192.168.0.1 and point all the machines at that. I tend to leave the router on it's default so if I do have to reset it then it appears in the usual place.

    Kevin