Power over ethernet and ePODs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Power over ethernet and ePODs
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:02:43 -0000

Looking at some Orinoco gear on the web I noticed that some of it
supports Power over ethernet (PoE) and that they make a device
that 'injects' DC power onto the ethernet cable to be picked up by
the device the other end, so no wall warts! Now their 'injector' only
works with their own kit of course, but it got me thinking!

Some of you may already know that I have details on my site about how
to incorporate an RJ45 port into an ePOD (basically by placing a
wired card inside the ePOD and wiring the card direct to the port).
It seems to my basic knowledge of 'how stuff works' that if I have a
CAT5 cable carrying a network connection (using 4 of the wires I
think) then I would have room on the cable for DC power too. Then in
the hack ePOD I could simply link some of the wires from the RJ45
port to the internal network card and the others to the DC
connections. The result would be an ePOD that could be very easily
and discretely wall mounted which is my ultimate aim.

Now I think I could handle all the wiring inside the ePOD, but what I
don't understand is what would be the best combination of wires to
use for DC power in the CAT5 or how to build the 'injector'. I would
want something that was capable of supplying power to 5 ePODs if
possible over CAT5 runs up to 50m. Does anyone have any thoughts on
this?

Regards

Graham

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor