Re: WiFi

"Brian Reynolds" <brian.g.reynolds@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm looking at other options for speed, if the Linksys is 11Mbps but you
>pnly get around 6Mbps this might be a bit suspect.
>
>D-Link have a "22Mbps" effort,
>http://www.dlink.com/products/digitalHome/wireless/11b+/di614+/
>But I asume this is suspect?
> Still looking..............

22Mbps sounds like a dual bonded 802.11b sort of idea?? I'm sure I've
read of that in the past. HyperLAN or something like that (I recall
very vaguelly).

Faster than that you maybe want to look at 802.11a or 802.11g as it's
known over here I believe? I can't keep these numbers in my head, one
or the other anyway. That'll do 54Mbps optimally, in the 5Ghz band,
but hasn't been ratified for use over here yet. I believe there is an
issue with one of the channels in that range being used by the
military.

It's getting a lot of coverage in the weekly IT mags at the moment;
Network News, Computing, IT Week etc.

Seems like this is the year of the wireless LAN.

>Where do you buy ready made antenna's?

That chap Dave, who's email address I posted earlier, supplied mine.
Little dinky things that sit on the end of a pole for me. He had a few
other options. I found some other suppliers linked off of Consume.net
recently too. I will *try* to remember to post pictures of these to
the UKHA_Networking group tonight as I've been meaning to do for Ian
Lowe for some time now:

Ian has some lovely looking high power jobs, pictures of which were
uploaded to that group recently IIRC.

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

stuart@xxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click here for more selections... Click here to visit LensExpress.com Avucue2 Colours ACUVUE Disposables FreshLook Colorblends Disposables Focus Night & Day Continous Wear Get Wild... with Wild Eyes!
Click here to find your contact lenses!