Re: [OTish] DVD Writer Advice?

The discussion about set-top and pc mounted has been had in my mind a few
times. Until we get set-top that can be linked to PC, I will always go for
pc mounted. At the end of the day, I can backup my machine, and still write
video. I'm not sure what the status is with regard to Firewire input on the
set top boxes, and wether this will offer anything towards what I would
want, but I made my choice already, so I kinda stopped tracking whats going
on in that area.

As Ken had mentioned before, lots of components are appearing that are
capable of dealing with both media. Sony are expected to get a -r/rw +r/rw
drive out before year end, so I think the media issue will be out of the
window before too long.

To quote from the end of the review..(Note the a-04 can be bought for
£200
inc vat now..)
Comparing the drive with Pioneer's DVR-A04 proposal we can say that the
Philips drive is a faster recorder and reader in both CD and DVD formats
and
it is bulked with better Video Editing software. Both drives offer 2 years
of warranty for European customers. The point where Pioneer DVR-A04 wins is
the lower price of the package & DVD-R media and at the compatibility
with
DVD-ROM drives.

For sure Philips DVDRW228 complete package will not disappoint its possible
buyer. If price was at the same levels as for Pioneer DVR-A4 we could
suggest it without any doubt. A bare Pioneer DVR-A04 can be found at prices
of 250-270$, while the second generation DVD+R/+RW drives are found at
400-450$.