[OT] PC Video Conferencing - How ?

Apologies for the OT post but you guys are the best source of knowledge I
know :-)

Here's what I want to do:
There's a few periods when I'm going to be away from home and would like to
keep in touch with my family. I can get an local internet connection
wherever I'll be and it would appear that I can save a huge amount on call
charges if we converse over the 'net. The major problem is one of the PCs I
intend to use is "getting on a bit". I can't replace it ATM so I need to
upgrade it to enable video conferencing.

AFAICS my options are to upgrade the Compaq's OS to Win98SE and use either a
USB camera (need a USB port expansion card), or my camcorder (need Firewire
card). The USB cameras I've seen appear to include VC software, would I need
any special software to use my camcorder ?

Also, any suggestions as to which modem to buy for the Compaq ? Some state
"video conferencing ready" or words to that effect, others don't. Does it
matter ?

What webcams / software should I get, and what should I avoid ?

Here's what I've currently got:
Digital camcorder with Firewire out.

IBM Thinkpad laptop: 900 Mhz Pentium III, 512 Mb RAM, 20GB HDD, Win2K Pro,
integrated modem, USB port, PCMCIA slots etc

Compaq Prolinea:
100 Mhz Pentium II  (yeah I know, I know ;-)  )
4MB RAM (can be upgraded to 512MB IIRC, I'll need at least 128MB with the
slow processor ?)
650 MB HDD
Win 3.11
No modem (see above)