RE: switch or hub

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: switch or hub
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:45:44 +0100

Hi local,

    Essentially a hub is just a repeater for a network, anything it receives on one wire it sends out on all the others, the effect is that every wire carries everything on the network. Similar to a room where everyone talks at once and can hear each other, individual conversations are still possible but they get more difficult as more people get talking.
    A switch is more intelligent in that it only send things out on each wire if they have an intended destination on that wire. If for example you have two computers talking to each other then that information only appears on those two ports. It is sort of analogous to the telephone exchange system. The effect is a much better utilisation of network bandwidth and an 8 port 10Mbps hub could theoretically handle 4 simultaneous conversations each at full 10Mbps speed.
    If you are already having network problems a hub may or may not improve things - as they are more intelligent they can get upset quicker by some network issues e.g. multiple ip address conflicts, however they can also isolate problem legs themselves. I would recommend tracking down the problem as it is likely to still be there if you use a switch.

    A switch is a much better solution and they used to cost way more than a hub - but no more - I would recommend tracking down the problem though as it is likely to still be there if you use a switch.

    Kevin

PS One side effect of a switch is that you cannot 'snoop' on a network branch easily. I had intended to watch UDP packets travelling between the SliMP3's and the mp3 server to pick out the infra red remote codes in transit but of course they only exist on those two legs and not the whole network ! ... DUH!