RE: Newbie seeking advice

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie seeking advice
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:29:42 +0100

Woa! Loads of questions and you should get tons of replies, but here's
my take.

> 1. If I put a normal alarm in, could I interface into this with X10
> devices?
> I like the idea of being able to troubleshoot if I'm away.
> 2. I've got LV Halogen lights in the kitchen, and I've read these play
> havoc
> with X10? The light is new and I don't want to have to replace it? If
it
> does cause trouble, is it only a problem on the ring it's on?

IME, if it's clearly marked as being dimmable then it's not a problem in
the main, certainly any of the Ring sets I've bought work fine on an X10
dimmer/lamp module.

If you put it on an appliance module (on/off, no dim) then it's not a
problem at all!

> 3. I've seen KAT5, but would this be suitable if I wanted to wire up a
> microphone to record from the piano?

No idea, Keith's your man for that one!

> 4. If I want to control Comfort from the Web do I need their Web
> Interface,
> or could I use something like Homeseer?

Don't know too much about Comfort (YET!) but from what I gather yes, it
can do this. Whether Homeseer is better or not I don't know.

> 5. I've got an oil fired Worcester boiler (a heatslave 20/25 with an
> embedded Dominion Heating timer panel). I'd love to be able to control
> this
> with a better interface. More specifically, I want to use my computer
> set
> the timings, and perhaps be able to set it remotely (eg if I'm away
turn
> on
> the heating before I get home). Or would the only way to do this be to
> have
> the heating / & h/w on all of the time, but controlled by an X10
> thermostat
> device?

Yep, fairly straightforward once you have the wiring diagram for the
heating or you can work out what's what with it.

> 6. Is X10 the way to go? I've seen the cbus stuff, and that looks
pretty
> cool to, and I kinda prefer the non-mains variety.

I like X10, it's relatively economical, expandable easily and there are
loads of cool things you can do with it given a bit of budget and a
little imagination. Tim knows about the C-Bus stuff as he did some
extensive research into that and I'm sure he can answer on that front.

HTH

K.