RE: Newbie seeking advice

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie seeking advice
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:49:02 +0100

> 1. If I put a normal alarm in, could I interface into this with X10
devices?

It is possible.  Mate has interfaced his generic alarm with HomeSeer
using the X10 Powerflash modules.  However, by the time you buy one of
these per PIR, buy a telephone responder etc, you could probably have
bought the "real thing".

> 2. I've got LV Halogen lights in the kitchen, and I've read these play
havoc with X10?

It seems to be a suck it and see thing.  It wipes out X10 for some while
it presents no probs for others.  Generally the older wound type of
dimmable transformers appear better than the newer electronic ones.

> 3. I've seen KAT5, but would this be suitable if I wanted to wire up a
microphone to record from
> the piano?

Hmmm...each to their own :)  Should be I'd imagine.  Keith?

> 4. If I want to control Comfort from the Web do I need their Web
Interface, or could I use
> something like Homeseer?

You can use HS and Comfort but you'd still need a UCM (PC Interface) and
either ACE or the HS-Comfort plugin that's in development.

> 5. I've got an oil fired Worcester boiler

Heating is still a tricky one in the UK.  Comfort have a Honeywell
interface now so again they are probably your best bet.

> 6. Is X10 the way to go? I've seen the cbus stuff, and that looks
pretty cool to, and I kinda
> prefer the non-mains variety.

It's all down to budget.  If money was no object I wouldn't have
installed X10.  But, I've wiring to every light switch in the house
incase a BUS hardwired system that's affordable appears in the future.

Oh..and Welcome to the list Dave :)

M.

The UKs Premier Home Automation Site