RE: DC in Cat5

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DC in Cat5
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:11:53 +0100

There are several issues that you need to consider:-

1) voltage drop. Depending on the length of the cable you will not end
up with 9v at the other end perticuly if there is current draw

2) floating voltage levels. Check that the supplies you are using can
have 0v tied together

3) Risk of equipment damage. Some toys have no over current protection,
they rely on the fact that the supplied wart will not produce enough to
do damage

That said, I do it I distribute 9v throughout my house, it supplies :-

HomeVision
Several PIC lighting gadgets
Several SSR's about 20
RF Solutions RF receiver
Several Rabbits

I use a programmable power supply for this and I set the maximum current just beyond the maximum possible that the devices should use. If I
introduce a short, the supply will instantly switch from voltage control to current control in which case it lowers the voltage to a point where
the current is at the set maximum. There is a LCD display which shows
the current voltage currently 9.03 and the current currently 237mA. In
my case the maximum is 450mA (The RF system draws a lot when all
channels are in the on state)

The one I use also supports remote voltage detection, this is very
useful on long runs as you, use a second pair which has no current draw
it just senses the voltage, this means that the supply is tracking the
voltage at its destination not at the supply. (I don=92t actually use this<= BR> feature because the bit of kit I am most concerned about is the HV and
its located just a few feet from the supply

Theses supplies are more expensive than wall warts, mine cost about
=A3150, but I use it a lot when developing circuits, it saves the smell of<= BR> burning plastic. (Triple outputs are much more expensive =A3425)
John

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D"Click
3D""