RE: Re: Network for beginners

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Network for beginners
  • From: "Stainton-James, Mark (London)" <stainmar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:43:41 +0100

Just one left - IP addresses.  I think my win2k box does not have
one
, but gets given one when I connect to the net.  My
fuji does not
have
one.  I would like to be able to network my office laptop and
SWMBO's
without reconfiguring their network settings.  Do I need DHCP
for
this?

It really depends on what the current Network settings are, and there are really 2 parts to this.  First you need to check what protocols are installed probably one or more of either IPX, Netbui or TCP/IP.  Now days TCP/IP is really regarded as the standard and is required for internet access - so lets assume you have TCP/IP protocol installed on all your machines that you wish to connect.

By default when you install TCP/IP it will be setup to use DHCP 100% - if you want to go down this route for your LAN then you will need to setup a DHCP scope (range of addresses) that your server will give out to clients.  For home use the default 'standard' is 192.168.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 although it really makes no difference what you actually set your scope to.

If you want to use static addresses - probably a lot lot easier if you are new to networking then assign them yourself with 192.168.0.1 on the server, 192.168.0.2 on the fujitsu etc etc.

This should get you started at least.

Mark

Just one left - IP addresses.  I think my win2k box does not have
one, but gets given one when I connect to the net.  My
fuji does not

Subscribe
:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor