Britney Spears Swimsuit Naked Supermodels was RE: Creating a server

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Britney Spears Swimsuit Naked Supermodels was RE: Creating a server
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:53:43 +0100

Keith,

The whole "server" thing is really kinda overrated..

despite my desktop PC being a beast of a thing, our server has been chuggin= g
away nicely..

It runs winroute for internet access, Winamp for whole house MP3, homeseer<= BR> for X10 control, Girder for IR control/distribution has a copy of SQL Serve= r
which Jenni uses for dev work, and hosts out our MP3 archive. It also
provides nework services like shared printing, DHCP, DNS etc.

It's a dual processor Celeron 466, and never breaks a sweat. I don't think<= BR> it's utilisation ever goes above 30%

I would say your P200 would be fine for starters, and upgrade it when it obviouslly needs it.

Memory is the only area where I reckon you need some beef: our server has 512Mb, and thats about right.

Disk Subsystems don't matter a donkey. our server has UDMA66 and can stream=
DVD quality video in realtime.

I'd make your network 100Mb switched though: 10Mbps network equipment is false economy. a good 100Mbps NIC is =A310 (I use the Netagear FA311, and recommend it to my customers) and you can get a Netgear FS108 eight port switch for about =A380.

Hope this helps, and aplogies for the Subject line change. I'm getting kind= a
sick of "what does your b@by look like now" adverts.

Ian.

PS> Britney X10 Hi-Fi Audio Home Automation
Target those ads, yahoo, damn you!