RE: TiVo question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: TiVo question
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <wormpurple@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:43:23 +0100

<snip>
> On another note, having moved the sitting room around over
> Easter, I managed to re-structure my AV kit so that SWMBO now
> HAS to use the AV amp (because the STB is plugged into the
> switched auxillary power outlet) and the Pronto accomplishes
> this (only taken nearly 3 years to get her this far!).

I've solved this kind of problem in a rather different way, now. I have
HomeVision watching for keys from the relevant remotes (Sky, TiVo,
Pronto) and does all the work.

How it works is this....

With the Sky remote

Press Sky. This obviously turns the Digibox on if it's off. However, at
the same time, HomeVision turns on the TV, selects AV2, turns on the AV
Amp and selects the Sat input. Because it knows the state of the TV and
amp, it only actually does the bits it needs to, so pressing the Sky
button again does nothing.

Press TV. HomeVision returns the TV to UHF and switches off the AV amp.

Press Standby (which turns off the Digibox). HomeVision switches off the
TV and the AV amp and turns the Digibox back on again.

With the TiVo remote

Press Standby. HomeVision switches off the TV and AV amp.

Press TiVo or Live TV. HomeVision switches on the TV and amp and selects
the appropriate inputs (same as pressing Sky on the Digibox remote).

With Pronto, you just use the corresponding buttons.

The good thing about this is that SWMBO doesn't need to think about the
AV amp, AV inputs to the TV, etc. HomeVision knows all and does all the
dirty work.

Similarly, pressing any button on the DVD remote switches everything to
the corresponding modes.

So, SWMBO doesn't really like the Pronto, but doesn't need to because
all of the standard things she wants to do can be done automatically
using the regular controls on the preferred remote(s). In practice, the
Sky remote doesn't get used now. The TiVo remote takes care of
everything there. SWMBO only usually has to worry about the TiVo remote
- so I've ordered her one of her own :-)

Steve

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!