RE: Wireless LAN

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless LAN
  • From: "Ian Willoughby" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:03:55 +0100

Hi Stuart,
I have a Buffalo AirStaion about ?250 and an external directional aerial
?75. It is also possible to plug the external aerial into the lan cards
?105
to increase range, I have not done this.

The key thing is direct line of site as we are talking 2.4Ghz microwaves. I
am covering well of 70 meters through walls and still getting 5Mbs or 11Mbs
(with a following wind) so Direct Line of Site would give well over your
150M, but the aerial is very directional. I beleive it is possible to get
better omniDirectional ariels but I have not tried this. Setting up
Chesham's first 802.11b ISP was not in my game plan, unless I could charge
for it (but you can not use 2.4Ghz for profit, it is illegal).

Hope this helps.

Regards
Ian