RE: Re: IIS Worm

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: IIS Worm
  • From: "Mark Hetherington \(egroups\)" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 23:43:59 +0100

Graham,

Glad to hear that things seem to be finally looking up.

The IIS LockDown tool I mentioned in last night's email is very efficient
at
securing the system. A system secured with it would have not been vunerable
to Code Red/Blue or Nimda or similar attacks even without the appropriate
patches and service packs so if you did not get chance to install it yet,
that should be your first step towards security and is something you can do
while you are waiting on tech support since it is quite a small download so
even with the dodgy link, should not be too tedious to upload. Although
since your FTP is working, I guess uploading is much less of a pain now.

Once everything is back up I am quite happy to, and I am sure others will
be
as well, give tips on securing the system. It is easier once it has net
access since you will be able to install direct from the web some useful
utilities and we can check the system's integrity using various online
tools. We can also verify the settings for the remaining shares at that
time.

WRT, AV software, you are correct in that it would not have been much
protection against this attack, but then AV software generally protects
against known and projected threats so this applies to any system anyway.
It
would have enabled you to fix the virus much more quickly though since the
updates for the main packages were available within hours of the virus
first
hitting servers so it is a worthwhile system to have for that reason if no
other. Also if any of your customers have access to their hosting on your
server, you do not really want them "accidentally" uploading
virii. An AV
solution is an integral part of any security solution so I strongly
recommend that you install something.

WRT L****x, it is not usually very well protected by a default install so
it
would not be a plug and play security solution anyway. Securing L***x is an
art, as is securing Windows and IIS. Newer distributions do attempt to
offer
auto security configurations, but even they are often seriously flawed.

Shout up when the server is fully back online and let's give the L***x
peeps
a run for their money :)

Mark.

I'm