CAT5 etc in Bathrooms?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: CAT5 etc in Bathrooms?
  • From: "Tracey Gardner" <tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:13:03 +0100

I'm in the process of cabling my self-build with CAT5 and
would welcome the list's thoughts on the installation of
CAT5 into bathrooms/en-suites.

I've looked at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation's web site
and see that in their "Smart Home" that they are able to
remotely control the water in both bathrooms and kitchens.
http://www.jrf.org.uk/housingtrust/smarthomes/devices.asp

If I do put CAT5 under the bath/sink etc to allow for this
kind of thing in the future, I'll also need to install some
low voltage power cable to operate the solenoids/valves etc

Has anybody got any thoughts?

Tracey

Extract from the Smart Home Page

Water

All the taps in the home can be turned on using either the
buttons on an adjacent panel or a remote control device.

Kitchen and bathroom sink

The kitchen sink can be filled to one-third, two- thirds
or full up with water at the required temperature using
the buttons on the panel. Pressing stop will turn off the
tap and holding down the stop button will allow you to top
up the sink.

Bath

The bath can be filled to half and full levels at a pre-
determined temperature. Pressing stop will turn off the tap
and holding down the stop button allows you to top up the
bath. Pressing any of the fill buttons will automatically
put the plug in. To empty the bath, there is a 'waste open'
button on the control panel. A top-up button is located on
the wall for you to use when you are in the bath.

Shower

A button on the wall controls the shower. This will run the
shower for a predetermined time or until the button is pressed
again. The shower is set to the same temperature as the bath.

Toilet

The toilet is operated from the panel next to it and can either
be fully or partially flushed. Both of these flushing options
will use less water than a conventional toilet.

tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx
Lincolnshire
U.K.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx