Re: Smokin' TV

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Smokin' TV
  • From: "John McManus" <john.mcmanus@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:23:44 +0100

I had a similar problem last week with a 12 year old 30" Sony (but
without
the smoke).  Wife switched off after one soap  and the TV refused to switch
for her to watch the next one (I told her it was a sign).

At the age of the tele, I was tempted to junk it, but there is a Sony
service centre nearby who will look & fix if it will cost below £60, or
give
you a quote to repair it.  They replaced a couple of resistors, fixed quite
a few dry solder joints etc.  I am hoping that it was £61 well spend (seems
to work at least as well as before).

I was reluctant to start poking about in the TV since I know nothing about
the circuitry and there are rather high voltages around, even when
unplugged.