RE: OT: THX

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: THX
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 01:10:47 +0100

<snippers>

> *DO NOT* get hung up on "THX is better" ... if you've seen
the
> original THX
> approved release of Highlander you'll know that the quality of the
disc
> sucked! THX is mainly just a George Lucas money making excercise - I
was
> listening to a Sony 9000ES AV processor the other week which isn't in
any
> way THX certified and it sounded better than almost any THX processor
I've
> ever tried!

I'll totally agree with you there Phil, especially when you have a Home
Cinema system you want to play music on. THX speakers don't cut it when
reproducing music (because they have a limited frequency response AND
dispersion pattern). I'd say that THX certification on power amps is
meaningless, none of my amps have THX certification, but they are far
superior to all THX amps I have heard in the same price range.

Where it does score is in THX processing. The re-equalises the track to
take
account of the fact that we are using near field monitors rather than big
air movers to listen to the soundtrack.

Tim.