New Bios.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: New Bios.
  • From: UKHA@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:48:51 -0000

Hi all

I finally recieved my new bits from Ebuyer yesturday, - a 60Gb Hard
disc, Creative Platinum sound card, and 256Mb more memory..

I installed the memory last night and I see that I have managed to
exceed the amount my pc can handle! - it only registers 196mb instead
of the 320mb that is installed.

I looked at installing the HDD but I found that the PC cannot handle
discs above 30Gb without a BIOS update, - This in itself is not a
huge problem but this is one area of PCs that I have never touched....

So I have got the update from chaintechs website, and the flash
routine to install it with.

Am I correct in assuming that if I get this wrong I will write the
motherboard off? - or is there a way of reinstalling the old bios
back onto the machine?

excuse the jumpy nature of this, I just want to understand what may
happen if this does not work as expected!

(SWMBO would not be happy at loosing access to a PC!!)

Once this hurdle is done then I can get MP3 ripping!!

Dan

Ps If anyone is interested I could do a review of the Creative
Platinum kit.