RE: Re: OT: Terrorism

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT: Terrorism
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:37:04 +0100

Well I can see we are not going to agree here Mark. The fact is that
thousands have died who would still be alive today if the flight decks had
been secured. The technology does exist and is reliable to secure the
flight
deck without causing any other risks to normal flight and only a minor
inconvenience. I agree that the terrorists and their plot should have been
identified before they even got on the planes, but they weren't. You don't
want to see measures introduced to prevent such actions in future, I do. I
also support the removal of litter bins from the underground, the
compulsory
use of seat belts, crash helmets on motorbikes and various other invasions
of my 'rights' in return for safety. You state that there are much better
ways to prevent future occurrences, what are they? And finally the
terrorists DID defeat aip*plane* security, they got control of the flight
deck, they also defeated air*port* security by carrying (basic) weapons on
board. However I would assume that a person skilled in unarmed combat would
be a serious threat on a plane without any actual weapon so there has to be
security on board in my view.

Graham