Re: OT: Terrorism

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: Terrorism
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:15:12 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Steve Cooper" <steve.cooper@u...>
wrote:

> I was thinking a similar thing last night.
>
> Each plane has a predefined destination, this could be
preprogrammed by
> ground control.  If a plane goes off course by more than a set
tolerance,
> control of the plane is removed from the pilot either to an on
board system
> or ground control.  You could override it via codes from ground
control if
> required.

Hmmm.... in such a scenario, the terrorist does not even have to know
how to fly or to go to the trouble of taking over the plane or risk
his life for his cause. He merely hacks in and tells the plane to go
where he wants. He could even commandeer every plane in flight rather
than needing a team to hijack each from a single computer and really
coordinate a display of destruction. And of course no pesky flight
crew trying to save the day since the plane is off course and the
pilot can no longer control it. /me shudders at the thought

Mark.