Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)
  • From: "Andy Powell" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:58:27 -0000

Now I've gone and done it and added to the problem (twice in that
last 7 days)..I just have a couple of observations..

1. I trust the advice I get in here. We have a wide variety of people
who do a wide variety of jobs.. many are in the computing industry so
it is an excellent place to get good, reliable help.

2. It's not just windows, Linux appears in here too.

3. Some of the windows stuff is HA related (not my last 2 questions
though).. I would regard stability issues, best processor/harddiks to
be relavant as I want to get the best from my HA system.

4. Does bulk buy stuff count? (Epods/Rack mount cases/DDAR/MP3/DVD)
Does Internet access/wireless networking/AV furniture/IPAQ and
PDAs /GPS count? etc.. are we going to say - "you can't ask that it's
not HA related"?

5. (Sorry Keith) Does Kat5 count? it's A/V stuff.. it could be used
in HA, but so can my pc/windows etc..? (I know there's a Kat5 group)

6. If a new 'section' of the groups was created then I'd join, but
I'd rather only have to look in one place.

7. Maybe it could move to IRC? At least thatwould stop me spouting
drivel in there...

8. Did someone say forums?

as always the abouve are all IMHO

Andy

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:

> I've just had an email from a long time member of the mailing list
on the old chestnut of off topic posts.  I know this is an old one
but I do agree with him.  For the many of us these post aren't a
problem.  For  others however, they are.  A couple of weeks ago a guy
that runs a well know HA business in the UK unsubscribed too, stating
it had got to much for him.

> Anyone just joining the group must wonder if it's on HA or if
they've mistakenly joined a Windows support group.  And I'm not
pointing the finger at anyone here...I'm as guilty as anyone.

> So...what do we do?
>
> There are probably no more than around 50 of us that use the list
for "chat" and OT stuff.  Would those member mind if I added them
a separate chat list?