Re: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 11:58 am, Andy Powell wrote:
> Now I've gone and done it and added to the problem (twice in that
> last 7 days)..I just have a couple of observations..
>
> 1. I trust the advice I get in here. We have a wide variety of people
> who do a wide variety of jobs.. many are in the computing industry so
> it is an excellent place to get good, reliable help.

It is an excellent resource, but that's not what the list was set up for.

> 2. It's not just windows, Linux appears in here too.

True, but in no-where near the same quantity (but that could be down to it
being less used.)

> 4. Does bulk buy stuff count? (Epods/Rack mount cases/DDAR/MP3/DVD)
> Does Internet access/wireless networking/AV furniture/IPAQ and
> PDAs /GPS count? etc.. are we going to say - "you can't ask that
it's
> not HA related"?

Being strict, the bulk buy stuff should be moved to the bulk buy list.

> 5. (Sorry Keith) Does Kat5 count? it's A/V stuff.. it could be used
> in HA, but so can my pc/windows etc..? (I know there's a Kat5 group)

Again, being very strict, any questions regarding kat5's should be directed
to the kat5 list, even though the manufacturer/designer is on this list. As
an example, I know there are other postgres users on this list, but if I
have
a Postgres questions I either use the postgres mailing list or IRC channel.

> 8. Did someone say forums?

Personally, I don't like web forumns, mainly because I'm a lazy git & I
like
my mail to come to me, not to have to go looking for it. Web forumns are,
IMO, a step backward from email.

> as always the abouve are all IMHO

ditto.

--