RE: Complaint...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Complaint...
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:19:54 -0000

Why dieticians continue pushing restricted-calory diets in the face of
overwhelming medical evidence that they are NOT the most effective
method of weight control reamins a mystery to me. It's certainly NOT the
case, say, in Germany or France, and it seems to be a purely
British/American phenomenon that the medical community continues to
promote this as "fact".

Calories are only a problem if you have insulin levels high enough that
you end up metabolising all of them rather than just "dumping"
them.
(Yes - that was a pun!) If you can get your insulin down sufficiently,
then you end up "flushing" the calories. (Yes - that was another
pun!)

If you CAN stick to a calory-controlled diet, then good luck to you. It
will work, and you will lose weight! However, increasingly studies are
showing that most restricted-calory diets tend to fail, because people
don't stick to them. Insulin-reducing diets (and this realistically
means ultra-low carbohydrate diets) tend to work because people are able
to stick to them for a few weeks ;-)

Seriously Tim - stick to the diet your doctor has recommended, but at
the very least have a read of the Atkins book. Style apart, you'll be
surprised!

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher