RE: [OT] ITV Digital - Switch Off in 6 Months?!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] ITV Digital - Switch Off in 6 Months?!
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:17:51 +0100

Interesting table in the latest copy of the "Riggers Digest" that
I get sent
from Satellite Solutions every couple of months. It lists what channels are
on the different Digital Muxes.

MUX 1
1	BBC1
2	BBC2
7	BBC Choice
10	BBC Text
11	News 24
12	Parliament

MUX 2
3	ITV1
4	CH4/S4C
6	ITV2/S2/Utv2
8	CH4 Wales
9	Text
14	Four Text
16	ITV Text+
20	ITV Sport
41	Film Four
42	E4

MUX A
5	CH5
13	BBC Knowledge
15	NTLi
18	TeleG/S4C2
19	Shop
44	TV Travel Shop
48	ITN News
49	S4C Text
50	ITV Select Info
51	ITV Select 1
52	ITV Select 2
53	ITV Select 3
54	ITV Select 4
55	ITV Select 5
56	Adults Only 1
91	TVX

MUX B
21	Sky Sports 1
25	Sky Premier
26	Sky One
27	Cartoon Network
28	Carlton Cinema
43	UK Horizons
88	ITV Digital Info
98	ITV Sport Select
99	ITV Sport Plus

MUX C
22	Sky Sports 2
24	Sky MovieMax
30	Granada Plus
31	Breeze/Men&Motors
32	UK Gold
33	MTV
46	Two Way TV
47	Wellbeing
90	Adult Channel

MUX D
23	Sky Sports 3
29	British Eurosport
35	Taste CFN
36	Discovery Kids/Wings
37	Play UK
38	UK Style
39	Nickleodeon/Paramount

Interesting to note that the sports channels are spread over the most of
the
muxes and Mux D which has 2 of the main sports channels has virtually
nothing else on it. The fact that all the Select Movie channels are on one
Mux explains why the picture is so crap and they have blank screens in
between movies to free up bandwidth for other channels. It also explains
why
BBC is so good as 2 of the channels on Mux1 (10 & 12) are very low
bandwidth.

I suppose it should be no surprise that the sport channels have so much
bandwidth as all the advertising to sell Digital TV is always aimed at
sport. I dont see why they need that much bandwidth when most of the screen
is Green with a few coloured dots running about :-(

Yesterday we were out for a drive and I commented on the number of pubs
proudly announcing "SKY". Why dont they just say football because
I have yet
so see Star Trek, The Simpsons, Only Fools & Horses, Never Mind the
Buzzcocks, This Old House etc being shown in a pub.

BTW Did I mention that I hate Sport.

Keith