Re: Starting a new flood wiring project

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Starting a new flood wiring project
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:47:05 -0000

FLEXIBILITY !

You should NEVER have all your CAT5 sockets in use.
If you do, then you dont have enough.

Consider a 13A socket. At one time there were maybe 2 or 3 SINGLE
sockets in a lounge. (A 1968 bungalow we lived in had that). A modern
house has many more.

How many power sockets do you have in your lounge now?

Do you have enough? Yes/No
(HINT - Answer NO if you use any plugboards or adaptors)

Are they convieniently located? Yes/No
(HINT - Answer NO if you use any extension leads)

The main thing to consider it that unlike mains where you can simply
plug in a multiway socket to gain extra outlets...
CAT5 is strictly  ONE DEVICE PER CABLE. The only exception to this is
for PC network where you can plug in a hub to gain extra outlets for
the same network.

My plan is for a dual CAT5 outlet adjacent to EVERY double powerpoint
with additional CAT5 outlets at locations where there will/could be
high useage eg Office, AV Centre etc.

I know people on this list who felt they had put in too much CAT5
originally who have since run additional cables, or wish they could.

The important thing is to get the CABLE in (the cheap bit). The
sockets (the expensive bit) can be added over time as need/funds
permit. Sockets on average are about a fiver per outlet (rough
figure) whereas 1000ft/305m of CAT5 is about 35 quid. If you buy 4
reels then the time to run 4 cables from A to B is the same as the
time to run a single cable. The only extra is the cable cost. Labour
is the most expensive part of any cabling/making_good operation
wether you are paying someone to do it or using your own valuable
time.

If you have the cable in place but no sockets fitted you can go from
0 sockets in the corner of the room to 4 sockets in the corner of the
room in under 30 minutes. To do the same without the cable could
easily take a day or more with lifting floorboards, chasing walls,
filling holes, redecorating etc.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Keith