RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:41:29 +0100

--- In ukha_d@y..., Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@s...> wrote:
<Snip>
> My in-car Sat Nav system uses rotary selection of letters (dial the
> letter you want), eliminating letters which are not relevant as the
> choice is narrowed down. This works surprisingly well, despite the
> cumbersome description!

But does it know where Uxbridge is?

> In addition to differentiating direction of travel, rotary selection
> can also react to speed of rotation. With a bit of ingenuity, it's
> possible to design UI's which are (IMO...) far more elegant and
> intuitive than a push button interface - not only that, but it's
> economic on the input bits too.

Also useful for numeric input, as well, such as time or temperature. You
want a combined rotary encoder and push button, I reckon, so that you can
use one control to 'set' and 'fix' a value. Trouble is, are there any
decent
looking knobs about?

> If we are going to have push button inputs, aligning them parallel to
> screen edge will also give the option of a "soft key" style
UI,
> without compromising cursor-style navigation.

I'd like to see a combination of a rotary control (with built-in push
button) and screen-aligned soft keys.

Just my 2p

Steve