RE: Collaborative HA Projects

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Collaborative HA Projects
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:48:07 +0100

This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net
> My reasons are, it is clear that TCP/IP is going to win in the
> end in the HA
> marketplace, ok Bluetooth has a good chance but the costs of
development
> make it nearly impossible also its short range would not work in my
house
> with 3ft thick walls. Since I started with diy home auto project a lot
has
> changed DDAR has arrived and epods, we have Home Highway or ADSL, many
of
> the HA controllers already have web access (comfort & Homevision
for
> starters) software HA products are mostly IP based a good example
> of this is
> misterhouse.
>
> I have got the tini java kit but not used it much I am thinking of
also
> getting the rabbit development system to enable a quick start up
> without the
> need to produce a TCP/IP stack from scratch.
>
> I have a few projects in mind.
>
> Does anyone else have a interest in this ?

You bet!  Whilst I may not be able to implement any of this just yet, my
next house will be automated up to the gunnels if I get my way!

This would be the ideal time to start on something collaborative - we can
issue specs. etc. and peer review has done Linux no harm.

Also, brother-in-law is buying a new house, and is considering an AV
room/library (or library/AV room as his wife sees it!) extension.  What a
good place to load up with goodies!

I'm still confident that using something like TINI, node zero zoned MP3
audio moves a step closer....(ignoring the DDARs which are likely to be
replaced with the not so bargain Rio units...)

James H