RE: IR Blasters

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IR Blasters
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 20:30:23 +0100

Exactly ... [Shock, horror] the Pronto isn't perfect.

I am getting p'd off with my missus at the moment who for some reason
insists on waving the pronto around and then putting it down on the side of
the couch and blocking the IR while it's running macros and then tells me
that my AV system isn't working right.

If you have IR relay emitters strapped to the front of each device then
each
device gets IR squirted directly into its receiver ... someone standing in
front of it or some kid smearing jam on the front panel will no longer
affect its ability to receive commands.

Ideally all pieces of equipment would have some form of hardwired control
... IR is good but not infallible. Remember the diagrams in the manuals for
your kit ... "Point the remote directly at the unit for reliable
operation".
IR works very well, I think it works amazingly well given how it does what
it does, but it does have limitations and it's best to try to work to
eradicate those limitations.

Phil

Automate but