Best free mpeg encoder

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Best free mpeg encoder
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:14:29 +0100

In a couple of days I'll be in a position to finally do a comparison of different bit-rates compared with original source material through a decent HiFi. I've ordered an Arcam DV-88 DVD player which will read CD-R, and CD-RW and works with mp3 discs.

I have a Meridian 561 processor, regarded as one of the best home DSP units, connected directly to the digital output of an Audiolab 8000CD player. I intend to connect the Arcam in the same way. Main speakers (KEF 104/2s) are bi-amped using 4 Audiolab 8000MX monoblocks. I also use a KEF 30B sub, with the crossover frequency controlled by the Meridian

I'll encode a variety of source material. In order to give mp3 the best possible chance I want to use the best encoder I can get my hands on without having to lay out any cash. Can anyone make any sensible suggestions?

Phil Harris is intending to come over and have a gander at my new Panasonic Plasma screen which is due to arrive on Monday. When he comes over we'll do some double blind tests, so perception doesn't get in the way.

Tim.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor