Re: Bit the bullet...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Bit the bullet...
  • From: richard.lockyer@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:57:07 -0000

It is worth bearing in mind that you have to sign up for a years=20
contract with Home Highway, and they will charge you to convert it=20
back after that period.

Richard

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@v...>
wrote:
> I completely agree with your dislike of HH from the standpoint of=20
cost and
> coming from a house where I had a cablemodem before then I am=20
really feeling
> the pinch however for me the deal was worthwhile.
>=20
> At the moment we have one phone line and I am tying it up all the=20
time. For
> =A339.99 (not =A345.98) we get the second line (worth - say - =A310),
I=20
get my
> 6pm - 8am and weekends internet access (worth =A315) and =A37 worth
of=20
calls
> lobbed in, this is in addition to our single line as well.
>=20
> I considered the "all local calls inclusive" package but I
make few=20
local
> calls ... my family are 300 miles away and my partners family are=20
in the
> next village and we see then every day. All our friends are further=20
out than
> woul be counted as a local call and so this just wasn't of use to=20
us.
>=20
> When HH was =A349.95 a month *PLUS* calls *PLUS* ISP service then
it=20
was
> horrendously overpriced ... this is actually quite a reasonable=20
deal now.
> Sure ... if I hear from my mate at NTL that they've managed to=20
piggyback
> digital services onto the crappy old Cable and Wireless network and=20
will be
> offering cablemodem service for =A320 a month then I'll be beating
a=20
path to
> their door but untill then (given that I have more chance of=20
winning Miss
> World than getting ADSL which I also think is a bit overpriced at=20
the moment
> compared with cablemodems) in the current round of evalations then=20
the HH
> deal is best for me ... especially given that I don't currently=20
have the
> luxury of the clean data streams that you get from your analogue=20
modem.
> Remember it's a combination of the data rates and dialup times that=20
have
> prompted me to make this choice in the first place.
>=20
> Cheers
>=20
> Phil
>=20

month=20
with ALL
> > local calls (unlimited) under 60 minutes duration included and=20
your line
> > rental.
> >
> > BT Surftime package (evening an weekend access) =3D =A314.99 a
month=20
with line
> > rental and some discounts.
> >
> > Extra PSTN line =3D =A39.59
> >
> > So a PSTN x2 inclusive of all local calls off peak and weekend
as=20
well as
> > net access would cost =A329.58 per month as opposed to =A345.98
a=20
month for a
> > similar package using HH and that's without the local
unlimited=20
calls.

> > In other words HH is =A348.00 a quarter more expensive than
> > standard lines and
> > I think that is too expensive for what it is! Yes it does have=20
advantages
> > and is better than two standard lines, but BT charge =A339.99
a=20
month, for
> > that kind of money I want DSL not some muffed up half-way-house
> > between true
> > ISDN and a standard line. If BT want an extra =A3200 a year out
of
> > me they are
> > gonna have to do better than HH.
> >
> > I will miss HH for convenience, but I won't miss the bill!
> >
> > K.

plus
> > 6pm to 8am
> > weekday and all weekend internet access (which was going to
cost=20
me =A315 a
> > month via BT for a modem based service). There's a call
allowance=20
included
> > and I won't be tying on the only phone line into the house all
> > weekend, plus
> > of course the quick dialup times are a real draw given that I=20
can't get an
> > "always on" service yet. I have been finding that my
modem takes=20
about 1.5
> > minutes to dial up and log on and then I get between 1.7 and=20
2kbytes a
> > second transfer rates. HH isn't ideal but it's the best solution
> > I can find
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Phil

Pipeline