OT W2k server & Professional at home

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT W2k server & Professional at home
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:58:38 -0000

Hi,

A bit of topic but...

I am used to a Novell environment but decided to give W2K server a go
because of the terminal services possibilities with epods etc.

So I have installed the Server, I wanted to use DNS so that I can track
down
problems with my various imbedded devices. here is where my problems start.
To cut out any others possible causes of the problem my network is now
striped down to just 4 items:- (I have disabled DNS and put my ISP's DNS
server IP's into the network settings to eliminate DNS from the problem)

unmanaged hub
Intel Express router
W2k server (Domain controller, DHCP, DNS, W2K SQL server)
W2k Professional

The problem I have is that every couple of minutes the router kicks, and
sets up a connection. looking at the diagnostic trace that the router
provides I find that both the server and workstation are performing DNS
lookups without any applications running !

I disabled DNS server locally as I not sure that I have set it up
correctly,
its quite different to Novel which I am more used to.

Any ideas what could be causing the DNS lookups ?
How do I prove what is the problem ?
How do I stop it ?
Should I use DNS locally on my server ?
Should I use the router to provide DHCP & DNS and not the server ?

John