Re: Re: WHA, controlling MP3's

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: WHA, controlling MP3's
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:55:32 -0000

> >I use the "Palm amp"  ( http://www.winamp.com/customize/detail.jhtml?
> >componentId=195 ) plugin with a Palm M100 PDA for remote control.
>
>I've got a palm III, and played with omniremote some time ago, but I've
>found that the IR power of the Palm III is a bit pants. As I don't
>currently
>use it for much else, I'd be happy to press it into service as a
remote,
>but
>I fear it wont have the range to span the bedroom...

Whoa! Hang on, I think I may have the wrong end of the stick with this
particular plug-in, Does this one use the serial cradle rather than the IR?
- If so, that could be pretty useful as an interface for my bedside
table...
Actually, I wonder if I could make this a more general HA controller for
the
bedside... I have a spare laptop that I was thinking about putting into the
bedroom, but I am a bit concerned about having the whole laptop thing
either
on top of (or glued to the side of!) my bedside cabinet - it's not totally
silent in use, a keyboard/nipple mouse is way way from being a comfortable
control interface, it would take up too much room, etc. etc. - I had been
thinking about hiding it away under the cupboard, and using some form of
external control, but hadn't figure oud what exactly... The palm in its
cradle would be ideal for that, if it is a simple serial connection, then I
wonder if I could use something like ACE running on the laptop, with all
the
input/output going through the palm?

Thoughts anyone?

Paul G.