RE: Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:26:41 +0100

Kieran

these are unused hot swap drives I think...they are seagate cheetahs with a
vented metal plate on the bottom and a plastic/metall sort of holder with
the sun logo and a metal plate on the front which flics out when you push a
plastic thumbswitch type thing.

model number is ST39102fc.

If I were to flog em on ebay how much should I be looking for ?(I have a
pair of them)

Point taken about scsi I use it extensively already :)

Thanks
Mick

JNI
> fibre card is in the region of 600 plus then of course you need
> the cabling.
> Also I think you might have an issue with pure sun stock running
> on PC pci.
> Its to do with the bios which is often different on the cards, a
special
> raptor graphics card which uses a standard rage pro chipset costs
> 300 plus.
>
> Flog them on ebay and buy a nice pair of 36gb wide scsi 2 disks then
run
> them off a nice little pc scsi controller.  Still more than enough
> performance compared to your average ide.
>
> kieran "dont know much about pc's" broadfoot

implementing
> something
> > > similar in hardware.  Full functionality from a pc with a
> > database etc but
> > > all management controlled by a TINI (I found the code a
couple
> > of days to
> > > control a cm12u from a TINI) but I would prefer to have a
pair
> > of them (or
> > > maybe more) all in sync around the house.  A loss of any
> > individual board
> > > (blown fuse, hard hang etc) would allow others to carry on.
> > > Tspaces (as per
> > > Johns email a while back) or JINI/JIRO would provide me with
that
> > > functionality.
> > >
> > > Tandem:  Not sure if they are still going but very cool
hardware
> > > designs.  I
> > > know a lot of telecoms companies used to use them for
control
> > > systems given
> > > their high availability.  I had a job managing a couple
which lasted 4
> > > weeks.  They offered me a job as a sun system admin and then
gave me a
> > > tandem.  I spent two weeks working out how to compile vi
then
> > > realised they
> > > are terrible from a management perspective ;-)
> > >
> > > Heinlein:  Wasnt it the moon is a harsh mistress?
> > >
> > > k.

MSoft
> > > but all of
> > > them cost big! Anyone familiar with the tell me three times
> > > concept that was
> > > used in some SF novels (Heinlen I think)?
> > >
> > > I think that any HA system needs to include graceful
> > degradation by that I
> > > mean ....PC running you have top fuctionality including
thought
> > control (
> > > only kidding but maybe voice control)plus lots of automation
as
> > in Kierans
> > > concepts, PC dies you roll over to a local controller like a
> > TINI/Rabbit,
> > > still lots of integration possible but you lose the higher
level
> > > functions,
> > > the cupboard you put both the TINI  and the PC in ends up
under
> > > two feet of
> > > water (hmm is it Paul that has some of his gear in a cellar?
> ;) then you
> > > fall over to local control on direct switches or local pic
> > driven devices.
> > >
> > > As well as degrading gracefully any system has to have
> > failsafes in place,
> > > examples are ...don't let the heating warm the house up to
40
> > > degrees C (and
> > > similarly don't let temps drop enough to freeze pipes),
> electrical door
> > > locks should fail to locked BUT should have manual inside
opening
> > > and if you
> > > want a failsafe for not P***ing off swmbo then don't allow
> > > anything to flash
> > > the living room lights every 5 secs (I did this recently and
> she wasn't
> > > happy  ;)
> > >
> > > Just my thoughts
> > >
> > > Mick