RE: [Project] Protocol & API. was: Re: Kieran's comments

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [Project] Protocol & API. was: Re: Kieran's comments
  • From: "Broadfoot, Kieran J" <Kieran.Broadfoot@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:48:17 +0100

Well that was sort of what I was questioning.  Are we aiming too high or
being too complex at the moment?  We currently dont know what we are going
to be building or how people will use it hence why not allow the device to
be accessible without any need for central protocols etc?  HTTP works for
me
as a protocol and allows the individual to use the device however they see
fit.  I agree that in the long run we do need and should have a proper
management tool but given we can upgrade the rabbit across the network
maybe
that functionality should not be part of the original spec?  Dont get me
wrong I want to write the code but I dont want to limit these devices from
selling if we force the purchaser to install another set of management
tools
onto their PC or whatever they use.

Also I can envision a time once we have built a few devices where might
consider building our own version of HV or similar which interoperates with
the devices.  The user then has a choice.  Interface to their current
platform choice or move to a central ukha management console.  I understand
peoples concerns about PCs and hence unless we make the devices easy to use
with other systems from the outset they wont be prepared to invest their
hard earned cash in buying a cool lighting controller etc.

I dont know if I am making myself clear but I still think we need a group
meet to iron out the real requirements before we build too much

k.