RE: Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?
  • From: "Darren Henderson" <shmern@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:17:55 +0100

wot is your Firewall ?

OS, Spec ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Grimshaw [mailto:stuart@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 23 June 2001 11:12
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: Kieran's comments was Last Night in London?

On Friday 22 June 2001 19:02 pm, you wrote:
> > I agree with John, I would not trust a PC to run the house,
although I
> > do trust HV as it is mot MS based :-> hell, even Linux topples
over
> > occasionally so getting everything PC based for me is not an
option at
> > the moment.
>
> While this is not spectacular by any means it does prove that a nice
stable
> PC can run for weeks or months in an HA environment...

Even less spectacular, here is a paste of the "uptime" command on
my
firewall:
11:09am  up 131 days, 13:21,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.03, 0.01

All it does is sit there and be a firewall, nothing else, and it's never
been
rebooted since I made it live. (Good job really because I don't have a
backup
of the masq & forwarding rules it has set up :-) )

I fully intend to use Linux on an old PC (486/low pentium based) soley
designed to run my house. I'll use my more powerfull server as a test bench
and perhaps write some software to act as device emulators for testing. I
volunteered to write the Perl module for our system, and on top of that I'm
planning to write a version of Misterhouse that's less resource hungry.

--
,,,
(o o)