Re: *muppet alert* How do I use my multimeter?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: *muppet alert* How do I use my multimeter?
  • From: matthew@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:06:54 -0000

Ian

Thanks for your help. I set the meter to 200 ohms and the results are:

1) 1

2) Anything from 0.7 to 170!!!

The meter is a digital one and for test 2 i would have expected a
constant readout? I'm not waving the cable around and the prongs are
firmly pressed down.

Any comments?

matt
--- In ukha_d@y..., "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> two quick tests matt:
>
> make sure both ends are "clean" (ie not shorting together
core and
screen)

> Measure resistance between core and screen: if you get a dead short
> (anything up to about 15-20 ohms) then your cable has stretched
internally
> and the core and screen are touching.
>
> then take one end and twist it together so the core and screen are
shorting:
> go to the oter end and emasure: anthing *Except* a dead short means
your
> cable has been damaged and one of the conductor paths is broken.
>
> Ian.

Assuming

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/