RE: *muppet alert* How do I use my multimeter?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: *muppet alert* How do I use my multimeter?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:17:03 +0100

1. Test For Short Circuit
Set the meter to 2000k (2megohm) and test on one end across centre and
screen making sure that the other end is not shorted out (wires touching).
The result should be infinity. Most digital meters show this as
"1" at the
left hand side of the display indicating "Over Range". On an
analogue meter
the needle shouldnt move from rest. Anything other than thisa indicated
partial or total short circuit.

2. Test for Open Circuit
Set the meter to 200ohm Range. Join the centre to the screen at one end and
then test at the other for a short circuit. Ideally the reading should be
"000.0" or the needle wrapped round the end stop. In practice it
may be a
few ohms but should be less than 10. If the reading is higher than that or
even infinity then the cable is damaged.

HTH

Keith